At Bell’s Appliance Service, we offer many appliance installation and repair services that you can trust. With stores in Greenville and Jacksonville, North Carolina, we also service areas such as Kinston, New Bern, Swansboro, Atlantic Beach, Surf City, Topsail Beach, Tarboro, Pine Knoll Shores, Onslow County, and Pitt County in North Carolina. We offer excellent household appliance installation, so if you need your refrigerator repaired or a new oven installed, we’re here to help! We’re a locally owned, family-operated business, and we specialize in appliance repair, installation, and maintenance services.
Most people would agree that a number of household appliances are necessary. But how can those appliances save energy? Saving energy in your home is not only cost-efficient for you, but it’s a great way to feel like you’re contributing to saving energy in the world. In the really cold months and the really hot months, we use much more energy than normal. It’s nearing our coldest point of the year, so it might be time to think critically about the energy you’re using at home.
Here are a few appliances that you might need to replace anyway and that can save you energy:
- Refrigerators: believe it or not, energy-efficient refrigerators are all the rage. Old fridges can waste energy because of inefficient cooling and lighting systems. Energy Star even estimates that refrigerators 10 years or older cost homeowners almost $5 billion in utility fees. Replacing your old fridge could save you hundreds in energy cost.
- Dishwashers: some dishwashers might seem like they last a long time, but if you’re still relying on your dishwasher that’s over 20 years old, you’re wasting a lot of energy. New dishwashers can help you save every year on utility costs. Dishwashers made over 20 years ago waste 10 gallons of water during each cycle, on average. That’s a lot of gallons of wasted water over the years.
- Washing machines: just like dishwashers, washing machines waste lots of energy and water if they’re older. If you have a washer that’s over 10 years old, you’re probably spending close to $200 a year on unnecessary water and energy.
- Ceiling fans: living in the South, we know that ceiling fans can make us feel cooler and more comfortable during the summer months. By increasing air flow in whatever room they’re in, fans decrease your need for energy-intensive cooling. When you use a fan, typically you can lower your thermostat by around 4 degrees and feel the same.
- Heat pumps: these are able to cool your home in the summer and heat it in the winter. They also remove extra humidity from the air, which means they can be more efficient than air conditioning units during the summer. Heat pumps may lower your electricity usage by about 50% compared to other standard heating systems.
- Smart thermostats: these are crucial to help you program your HVAC system to heat or cool only when necessary. This can help you save up to 10% on your annual heating and cooling costs just by changing your thermostat by around 10 degrees for about 8 hours a day. This will save you both money and energy.
- Dehumidifiers: we know humidity in the South! High humidity is more than just uncomfortable – it can also cause your HVAC system to waste energy. While heat pumps can handle extra moisture, whole-house dehumidifiers work with your HVAC system to pull extra humidity from the area while also helping the system work more efficiently.
- Air purifiers: keeping indoor air clear isn’t an easy task, especially if you have pets. Consider installing a whole-home air purifier rather than relying on your energy-intensive air cleaner. Like a dehumidifier, a whole-home air purifier works alongside your HVAC system to remove pollutants that can cause you and your loved ones to get sick. Air purifiers can remove up to 95% of the pathogens in your home’s air supply, which will also help to keep your energy consumption low.
At Bell’s Appliance Service, we want your home to be your happy place. Saving energy at home isn’t so hard to do, and we want to help however we can. Call our Jacksonville, NC office at 910-939-2090 or our Greenville, NC office at 252-364-2482 to schedule appliance repair or installation services with Bell’s Appliance Service. We’re looking forward to helping you with all your household appliance needs! Contact us today.